Research & Innovation
Creating value for customers – today and tomorrow
Laborelec’s research programs cover the entire electricity value chain, from generation to end-use. We carry out business-driven contract research to further improve the technologies of today and develop those of tomorrow, in a spirit of operational excellence and business development.
Focus on the entire electricity value chain
Laborelec conducts research in every link of the electricity value chain:
- Electricity generation. Our research concerns all types of power plants, including gas-, coal-, and biomass-fired, nuclear, and renewable energy units.
- Transport and distribution. We conduct research addressing the concrete needs and issues of grid operators. Topics covered include equipment ageing, smart grids, and power quality.
- End-use. We study improvements in the field of end-use energy consumption, with a special focus on the rational use of energy within buildings and the energy efficiency of industrial processes.
Improving existing equipment for operational excellence
An important part of Laborelec’s research is dedicated to optimizing existing installations. Our goal is to:
- Increase availability of electrical power plants and equipment.
- Enhance flexibility in order to help customers meet increasingly demanding market requirements.
- Lower operation and maintenance (O&M) costs.
- Reduce environmental footprint by lowering CO2 emissions and energy consumption and by ensuring compliance with current and future environmental legislation.
- Boost efficiency in operations and energy consumption.
Assessing the potential of emerging technologies
Laborelec also conducts research on promising new energy technologies. Our goal is to assess these technologies’ potential and support business development while mitigating risks.
Partner in ENGIE corporate research
Laborelec is actively involved in the ENGIE corporate research programs. These include studies on carbon capture and storage, new renewable energy technologies (solar and marine energies), smart energy, sustainable personal transport, electrical storage, city of tomorrow, and residential and tertiary building applications.
Phone: +32 (0)2 382 02 08